DR 11-0008 — WML: Kihon-hanmen-based page design

Chris Rae Chris.Rae at microsoft.com
Sat Sep 10 03:02:39 CEST 2011

https://skydrive.live.com/view.aspx/Public%20Documents/2011/DR-11-0008.docx?cid=c8ba0861dc5e4adc

This DR requests that an appendix is added to Part 1, specifying a procedure for converting Kihon-Hanmen layout measurements to the markup required by IS 29500.

I agree that this is a very useful addition to the standard, and I have worked with our WordprocessingML team here to further extend the proposal given by Japan, and cover other scenarios. However, although it is a useful part of the standard, I do not think that this should be a normative annex. It is additional guidance, not documentation of markup, and ought not to affect the compliance of documents. An example of very similar guidance is in Annex I.7, “The Unicode Bidirectional Algorithm and Office Open XML”.

I've attached the changes necessary to make a new informative Annex covering Kihon-hanmen - if there is time for national experts to review this before Busan then I'd like to discuss it at the face-to-face.