WG4 Agenda in Busan and a plan for going forward beyond that

MURATA Makoto (FAMILY Given) eb2m-mrt at asahi-net.or.jp
Tue Sep 20 13:01:21 CEST 2011

Dear SC34/WG4 Members,

Rex and I have been discussing our differences and we have agreed on the
following items for the Busan meeting:

* DR processing and freezing COR2 at the end of the meeting
* WG4 Business Plan [[this is new; see below for details]]
* Improving Part 2 (See N 0207)
* Improving Part 3 (See N 0205)
* Extensions of 29500 (See N 0206)

1. Detailed Business Plan of SC34/WG4

We believe that SC34/WG4 needs a carefully-designed business plan for
four reasons.  First, SC34/WG4 will start to work on more than just
DR processing.  Second, SC34/WG4 should notify OOXML users of our
future deliverables so that they can plan to use them and even
participate in SC34/WG4 for contributing to them.  Third, SC34/WG4 has
to make sure that SC34/WG4 has enough resources and a sensible
timeline.  Fourth, SC34 has to report its business plan to the JTC1
plenary.

I have created a wiki page for creating such a detailed business plan
of SC34/WG4.  The wiki page is available at

https://www.assembla.com/spaces/IS29500/wiki/Detailed_Business_Plan_of_SC34_WG4_(Draft)

Everybody can leave comments on this wiki page.  If you would like to
edit this wiki page, please let me know so that I can give write
access to you.

While we are designing a buisness plan, we will create text required
for addressing defect reports.  Such text will eventually become a
part of a COR, AM, or revision.  Hopefully, development of such text
will allow us to create a good business plan.

Currently, we have 9 DRs whose state is "Deferred until the next
revision".  Until WG4 has finalized the Business Plan, we won't know
when a revision of any Part might actually get published.  I propose
to reopen all of these DRs, and I will add them to the list of DRs for
the Busan meeting.

It is not clear when we can finish our buiness plan.  We might reach
consensus for some projects very soon while continuing to discuss for
others for a while.  When consensus is reached for some projects, we
report that part of our business plan to the SC34 plenary.

2. Future teleconferences before the Prague meeting

Between Busan and Prague 2012, WG4 has to consider seven groups of topics.

1) COR2 (Preparation of the DCOR text)
2) AMD2 (FDAM ballot comment disposition)
3) MCE maintenance
4) OPC maintenance
5) ISO/IEC 30114 (OOXML extensions)
6) WG4 Business Plan
7) Other defect processing

We definitely have to finish 1) and 2).  I would like to propose to
have a teleconference in early November for 1).

We do not know how much time is needed for 2) until we see comments
from member bodies.  We will have to discuss in a teleconference in
December or Junuary, after the FDAM ballot is closed.

Depending the progress we can make in Busan, we might want to have
some teleconferences dedicated to 3), 4) or 5).

I look forward to a productive meeting in Busan.

Regards,

SC34/WG4 Convenor
MURATA Makoto (FAMILY Given)