Flat Packaging Format (Possible OOXML extension 30114-3).

Alex Brown alexb at griffinbrown.co.uk
Mon Jul 2 16:19:55 CEST 2012

Dear all,

At the just-finished Brazil meeting I gave a brief presentation outlining a proposal for an alternative "flat" representation of OPC packages. Please find attached a draft for such a spec.

I have included some editorial notes which contain some important queries. I have attempted to reverse-engineer the format from what MS-Office does so as to give this standard a chance to integrate with the existing OOXML ecosystem, and to base it on something which has been implemented. However, some guesswork was of course necessary, so feedback would be valuable.

A couple of points of particular interest:

1. The namespace in existing implementations contains "microsoft", and I have left this as-is. Apart from the PR dimension I don't see this as significant as Namespace Names are merely arbitrary strings, and I think it is more important we plug in to existing files which may be out there then start with an incompatible freshly-minted Name (for which I can see no benefit).

2. Unfortunately, Microsoft has elected to name one of its elements "xmlData", which violates the spirit - and maybe the letter - of the XML Recommendation. I have however left this as-is as most tools in practice do not register this phenomenon. Thoughts?

- Alex.