DR 11-0033 - WML: Positioning of Emphasis Marks

MURATA Makoto eb2m-mrt at asahi-net.or.jp
Tue Jun 19 14:22:58 CEST 2012

Dear colleagues,

This DR is about positioning of emphasis dots for emphasizing
text chunks.

In my understanding, Koreans do not use emphasis dots.  Japan,
Mainland China, Taiwan, and Hong Kong use them.  Here I
consider Japanese, Simplified Chinese, and Traditional Chinese
only.

1) Correct behaviour and CSS3 Text (latest draft)

The positioning issue was extensively discussed for designing
CSS Text Level 3.  Mainland China, Taiwan, and Hong Kong participated
in this discussion.

The conclusion is shown in
http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-text/#text-emphasis-position,
but is summarized below:

Japanese  in Horizontal writing                         above
Japanese in vertical writing                               right
Simplified Chinese in horizontal writing             below
Simplified Chinese in vertical writing                  right
Traditional Chinese  in Horizontal Writing          below
Traditional Chinese in vertical writing                 right

Rationale:

  GB/T 15834-1995
  http://www.dogwood.com.cn/zf6.asp

2) Microsoft Word 2007

What does Microsoft Word 2007 do when <w:em w:val="dot"/>
is specified?  Microsoft Word 2007 differs from CSS Text in two
points.

Simplified Chinese in vertical writing                   left (Incorrect!)
Traditional Chinese  in Horizontal Writing           above (Incorrect!)

3)  OOXML ISO/IEC 29500-1:2011, page 1533-1534

The attribute value "dot" (Dot Emphasis Mark Above Characters)

There are many issues.  First, the text does not say anything
about horizontal or vertical writing.  Second, the text
does not always clearly say "above" or "beneath".    Third,
the positioning for Japanese in horizontal writing is obviously incorrect.
Fourth, the positioning for Traditional Chinese in horizontal writing
is consistent with Microsoft Word, but is different from CSS Text.

Japanese Horizontal    below (Incorrect!)
Japanese Veritcal         ?
SC Horizontal               below
SC Vertical                    ?
TC Horizontal              above (Incorrect!)
TC Vertical                   ?

4) What should we do?

First, I think that we should introduce a new value ("correctDot")
for correct behaviours.  Ideally, "dot" should be moved to T.

Second, I think that we should clearly separate horizontal
writing and vertical writing.  But I still do not understand
17.18.93  ST_TextDirection (Text Flow Direction), which
provides six values rather than two values.