DR 11-0033 - WML: Positioning of Emphasis Marks

John Haug johnhaug at exchange.microsoft.com
Fri Mar 30 02:55:23 CEST 2012

https://skydrive.live.com/view.aspx/Public%20Documents/2011/DR-11-0033.docx/?cid=c8ba0861dc5e4adc

Part 1, 17.18.24 ST_Em (Emphasis Mark Type) includes:
dot (Dot Emphasis Mark Above Characters)
Specifies that the emphasis mark is a dot character which shall be rendered above each character in this run using Unicode character 0x02D9 whenever the language of the text is not Japanese, Simplified Chinese, or Traditional Chinese. For those three languages, the emphasis mark shall be rendered as follows:

*         Japanese = Unicode character 0xFF0E (dot beneath characters)

*         Simplified Chinese = Unicode character 0xFF0E (dot beneath characters)

*         Traditional Chinese = Unicode character 0x2027

I've been looking at this for a bit now and I think the complaints are:

*         Text indicates the dot is below Japanese text - should be above

*         Text does not address vertical writing

Is that correct?

The comment about Office is separate and out of scope for WG 4, though if there are potential bugs in how Office handles emphasis marks in East Asian horizontal or vertical writing, I'd like to get the specifics directly.

Thanks,
John