Proposed text for Clause 9

MURATA Makoto eb2m-mrt at asahi-net.or.jp
Tue Aug 13 12:11:48 CEST 2013

Francis,

> 1. Your proposed text (expecially the first sentence of the second
> paragraph, and the final paragraph) defines an extension element somewhat
> more narrowly than I had proposed in my draft text. Yours is closer to what

I rather think that your wording states too much about
application programs.  I think that we should limit
our concern to behaviours of MCE processors and try
to avoid describing behaviours of application programs.
MCE processors simply pass application defined extension
elements to application programs.  The behaviours of MCE
processors have to be very clear for interoperability.

> is currently in OOXML, which may be a good thing (it shouldn't break any
> OOXML implementations), but I still wonder whether the MCE spec should be
> quite so proscriptive about the processing of extension elements or should
> instead leave it to the markup specification to define how MCE processors
> should handle extension elements in each specific case. Putting it another
> way, your proposed Clause 9 seems to be saying something normative about the
> processing of extension elements, although you have made it clear in the
> Clause heading that the Clause is informative.

My 2nd para may look normative at a first glance, but
it is not.  It just gives a high-level overview without
providing details.  Details are provided in the itemized
lists in Steps 1 and 2.

> 2. At the end of the second paragraph you have a cross-reference to "Clause
> 9". This is self-referential, so clearly wrong. What is meant?

Oops.  Clause 10 Semantic Definitions and Reference Processing Model.