Proposed text for Clause 9

Francis Cave francis at franciscave.com
Thu Aug 22 17:45:38 CEST 2013

Sorry, Murata-san, I should have read the current working draft more
carefully.

So, the behaviour of MCE processors with respect to extension elements is
currently defined as part of the processing model in Clause 9. If we accept
that ALL applications of MCE must handle extension elements as currently
specified in Clause 9, this is the right place to specify such normative
behaviour. If, on the other hand, we can agree that SOME applications of MCE
(not OOXML) might wish to specify different behaviours for MCE processors
with respect to extension elements, we either have to remove such normative
requirements from Clause 9, or make it clear that they are not mandatory but
are recommended as likely best practice, or weaken them further by including
them purely as examples of how MCE processors might behave.

As I have already stated, my main concern is that, if we are revising Part 3
so that MCE can be applied in markup specifications other than OOXML, we
should think carefully about which behaviours need to be normative for all
MCE processors, regardless of MCE application, and which should be specified
by the application. Clearly it makes sense to specify normatively all
behaviours with respect to MCE constructs, i.e. constructs that are
represented by elements and attributes with names in the MCE namespace. But
I don't think this necessarily applies to extension elements - which are,
after all, supposed to be "application-defined". I think it can be argued
that if they are application-defined, the way they should be handled by MCE
processors should also be application-defined. Otherwise, why not define an
element in the MCE namespace called 'mce:extension-element' (or 'mce:ext',
if you prefer) and leave it at that? I know that OOXML hasn't done that, and
maybe we feel that it should have done, but it didn't, and therefore the
question has arisen - in my mind, at least.

Kind regards,

Francis