MCE discussion points

MURATA Makoto eb2m-mrt at asahi-net.or.jp
Mon May 13 14:48:26 CEST 2013

> Murata-san asked:
> The above (correct) para is about ProcessContents, but  John's question is about resumption of MCE processing within application-defined extension elements.  These two are completely different beasts.
>

> There is no indicator or trigger that says "hey, re-establish MCE processing".  It's implicit - e.g., that the markup handed off by the preprocessor to the host application, containing an un-preprocessed extension element, could be sent back to a preprocessor by the host application if it chose to do so / knew it ought to (because it knows the host schema that's using MCE - that is, it has more contextual knowledge about the markup/schema than the simple MCE preprocessor does).

Understood.  This is consistent with what Chris and John have said.

> ----------
> Murata-san asked:
> How can the MCE processor know why the content of XMLDataSource of XAML should not be affected by markup compatibility rules?   Simply impossible as of now.
>

> In discussing with the MCE folks, I got stuck on his use of it being explicit in "schema" meaning a XSD/RNG/etc. file.  What he's saying is that the markup specification incorporating MCE defines in some way which elements are extension elements.  In our terms, it's part of the preprocessor's "configuration".

OK.

> He says: "The original intent was that the namespace specifications would state which elements in them should be treated as extension in MCE, not the other way around.

This is one possible approach.  But all other behaviors of MCE processors are
triggered by what is explicitly specified in the given document.   I prefer some
explicit mechanism for declaring app-defined ext elements.

> ----------
> There are also a few specific comments that I missed in their review of the Wiki text.  I paraphrase them below:
>
> 1. The references to the ext elements should be extLst.

I still think that this is mistaken.  Attached please find two
excel documents containing @MustUndrestand.  One specifes
this attribute at an extLst element while the other specifes
it at an ext element.  The former raises an error, while
the latter does not.

> 2. For the AlternateContent and Choice elements, the xmlns attribute is also allowed.  ("An AlternateContent element shall not have unqualified attributes, but may have qualified attributes." ... "A Choice element may have qualified attributes.")

"xmlns" is not an attribute, I believe.  It is a namespace declaration.

> 3. Re: the editorial note under AlternateContent ([Editorial note: Are child elements of ignorable and understood namespace names allowed (in other words, should we consider configurations)?   Or, should we allow namespaces for future versions of MCE only, and disallow configurations to contain such namespaces?]) Office allows Ignorable content under AC, such as
>      <mc:AlternateContent>
>           <no:no mc:Ignorable="no" />
>           <mc:Choice Requires="o"/>
>      </mc:AlternateContent>

What happens when the namespace for the prefix "no" is *understood*?
MCE syntax error?  Or, no errors?

> 4. Re: the Choice element ("Parent elements of Choice elements shall be AlternateContent elements."), the parent of a Choice can also be an Ignorable/ProcessContent element.  For example:
>      <mc:AlternateContent>
>           <no:no mc:Ignorable="no" mc:ProcessContent="no:no">
>                <mc:Choice Requires="o">
>                     <yes:yes />
>                </mc:Choice>
>           </no:no>
>      </mc:AlternateContent>

I am surprised.  This can't be true.  The first Ecma OOXML already had a
para as below:

    An AlternateContent element shall contain one or more Choice child
elements,
    optionally followed by a Fallback child element.

> 5. Re: the crossed-out sentence 2.a. under Step 3: Combination of ignoring and selecting ("a. Each MustUnderstand attribute at such an element shall be examined as specified in Step 4 before it is unwrapped.") - This is what Office does. As each Choice is examined, a MustUnderstand on it is processed. However, there is little reason for someone to write XML this way.

Makes sense!