Which XAdES profile?

John Haug johnhaug at exchange.microsoft.com
Wed Apr 23 20:04:44 CEST 2014

Agree.  Further, my understanding is that, from a format perspective, any XAdES profile may be used if a file supports use of XML-DSig.  It's up to an implementation to support various profiles.  I believe Microsoft Office supports up through -X-L but not -A, which is why MS-OFFCRYPTO discusses it.  I'd think that ODF the format would allow an implementation to use -A even without specifically discussing additional requirements to place on use of XAdES in ODF files.  I'd assume the same for OOXML.  Again, since OOXML supports XML-DSig and XAdES uses built-in extensibility, OOXML should automatically allow for the use of all profiles of XAdES.  Whether we want to apply specific requirements on its use to guarantee a certain level of information in a signed file is open to discussion.

John