30114-2: ignorables, app-defined ext elems, or custom OPC parts

Francis Cave francis at franciscave.com
Sat Dec 13 16:49:37 CET 2014

If you remember, I experimented with adding foreign OPC parts to hold ONIX metadata. Recent versions of MS Office don’t appear to throw away such foreign parts, but the version of LIbreOffice that I tested does appear to throw them away.

Nevertheless, I think we should explore the idea of using a foreign OPC part for character repertoire checking data, as this avoids the need to embed such data in content. I prefer this approach to the use of application-defined extension elements or ignorable elements. As you say, so far as implementations of the existing standard are concerned, new application-defined extension elements would have to be in ignorable namespaces, otherwise the implementations would be broken.

Regards,

Francis