Whether to upgrade the ZIP normative reference from appnote 6.2.0 vs. 6.3.2 (6.3.3)

Arms, Caroline caar at loc.gov
Fri Apr 3 18:25:32 CEST 2015

If we are considering citing 6.3.3,  I think we need to bring the possibility of citing ISO 21320-1 back on the table.  The argument made against that at Seattle, according to the minutes, was that the effort of comparing 6.2 with 6.3.3 (which is what ISO 21320-1 refers to) was not worthwhile.

Like Murata-san, I believe that 6.3.3 and 6.3.2 are equivalent as specifications with the, admittedly many, changes all representing improved formatting for the document, including paragraph numbering to support more specific citation.  Changes between 6.2.0 and 6.3.2 should be easier to check with a diff.  I’m not certain how Murata-san made his comparison.

My own analysis of changes associated with chronological versions of APPNOTE (done for a different purpose) is in the History section of Notes near the bottom of http://www.digitalpreservation.gov/formats/fdd/fdd000354.shtml
6.3.2 is not on the list.  When I did this analysis, I reckoned that changes between 6.3.0 and 6.3.3 were “minor changes, such as corrections or support for an additional compression method.”  I am fairly certain I based my analysis on reading change logs.

My personal preference would be to refer to ISO 21320-1  rather than APPNOTE 6.3.3 unless there is a technical reason not to do so.

    Caroline

Caroline Arms
Library of Congress Contractor
Co-compiler of Sustainability of Digital Formats resource    http://www.digitalpreservation.gov/formats/

** Views expressed are personal and not necessarily those of the institution **