DR 15-0001 — DML: Text point font size

Chris Rae Chris.Rae at microsoft.com
Tue Feb 17 20:13:59 CET 2015

Another HTML mail… it’s a lot easier to write these responses with some formatting. If anyone does still object to using HTML then let me know, I can always just attach OpenXML docs or PDFs instead.

This DR refers to ST_TextPointUnqualified, which appears to allow an unusually large range of point sizes (i.e. up to 10km). I believe that the defect is not valid, but there is some history to the confusion - at the BRM, several element and attribute values which had previously only permitted one unit of measurement were modified to include a union with ST_UniversalMeasure, which allows the specification of measurement units. In the case of ST_TextPointUnqualified, it can either be an integer number of points, or a universal measure (e.g. “10cm”). This was done to allow backward compatibility with applications which used the unqualified measure, but still to allow future applications to use alternate measurement units.

<xsd:simpleType name="ST_TextPoint">

       <xsd:union memberTypes="ST_TextPointUnqualified s:ST_UniversalMeasure"/>

   </xsd:simpleType>

   <xsd:simpleType name="ST_TextPointUnqualified">

       <xsd:restriction base="xsd:int">

          <xsd:minInclusive value="-400000"/>

          <xsd:maxInclusive value="400000"/>

       </xsd:restriction>

   </xsd:simpleType>

The submitter has, I think, confused ST_TextPoint with ST_TextPointUnqualified. The latter is restricted to [-400,000,400,000] because it only measures in hundredths of points – inside ST_TextPoint it does restrict the range but specifies it in points:

20.1.10.73        ST_TextPoint (Text Point)
This simple type specifies a coordinate within the document. This can be used for measurements or spacing; its maximum size is +/- 4000 points.
Its contents can contain either:

•    A whole number, whose contents consist of a measurement in hundredths of a point

•    A number immediately followed by a unit identifier
This simple type is a union of the following types:

•    The ST_TextPointUnqualified simple type (§20.1.10.74).

•    The ST_UniversalMeasure simple type (§22.9.2.15).

I think, therefore, that the standard is currently correct and we don’t have any changes associated with this DR.