Media Type .vs Content Type in newer HTTP 1.1 RFCs

MURATA Makoto eb2m-mrt at asahi-net.or.jp
Sat Feb 21 13:55:34 CET 2015

RFC 2616 <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2616> (HTTP 1.1) was obsoleted by
RFCs
7230 <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7230>, 7231
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7231>, 7232
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7232>, 7233
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7233>, 7234
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7234>, 7235
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7235>.  How
do these RFC use media types and content types?

First, I searched for "content type" and "content-type" in a
case-insensitive manner.  The former never appears, while the latter
appears 51 times.  But the latter always appears as "Content-Type".
Note that "Content-Type" is a field name.  In other words,
"content type" as a nown phrase is never used.

Second, I searched for "media type" and "media-type" in a
case-insensitive manner.  The former appears 98 times, while the
latter appears 11 times.  The former is used as a nown phrase.
Some of the occurrences of "media-type" are
occurrences as a non-terminal symbol.

I thus conclude that HTTP 1.1 now uses "media type" rather than
"content type".  The only exception is the "Content-Type" field.