Re: Comments on the latest proposal for DR 11-0008 — WML: Kihon-hanmen-based page design

MURATA Makoto eb2m-mrt at asahi-net.or.jp
Sun Sep 13 10:39:40 CEST 2015

Dear colleagues,

I plan to make real progress in Bejing, although I don't think that
we can close this DR there.

First, I now think that we should not provide *procedures* for
computing margins from Kihon-hanmen or computing Kihon-hanmen from
margins.  Rather, we should provide some *declarative relationships*
among Kihon-hanmen parameters and margin parameters.  This is because
there are more than one way to make these parameters consistent.  For
example, when character pitches are changed, should we change margins
or should we change the number of characters per line?  Both are
sensible.  Another example is changing line pitches.  Should we then
change margins or the number of lines per column?  We do not want to
tie the hands of developers by mandating some procedure.

Second, I also think that we should first explain margins, paper
sizes, columns, and gaps for horizontal writing and vertical writing.
In particular, we should carefully explain which value is physical
(i.e., independent from the writing-direction) and which value is
logical (i.e.,dependent on the writing-direction).  This explanation
is useful even when Kihon-hanmen is not used.  Moreover, description
of Kihon-hanmen and declarative relationships becomes much easier
since we can use column widths and hights rather than margins.
I will further improve my PPTX document, incorporate sketch of
proposed changes, and explain them in Beijing.