XAdES Support and the Revised OPC [formerly "DR 11-0030: Proposal"]

Francis Cave francis at franciscave.com
Thu Jun 2 12:05:31 CEST 2016

Murata-san

It is obviously preferable if we only have to reference the latest version of XML DSig. From a cursory glance at the specifications, the following paragraph appears to summarise the changes in XML DSig 1.1 that affect conformance:

“Conformance-affecting changes of XML Signature 1.1 against [the] previous recommendation mainly affect the set of mandatory to implement cryptographic algorithms, including Elliptic Curve DSA (and mark-up for corresponding key material), and additional hash algorithms. A detailed explanation of changes since the last Recommendation are available [XMLDSIG-CORE1-CHGS <https://www.w3.org/TR/2013/REC-xmldsig-core1-20130411/#bib-XMLDSIG-CORE1-CHGS> ]. Changes are also described in a diff document showing changes since the Second Edition <https://www.w3.org/TR/2013/REC-xmldsig-core1-20130411/Overview_diff_rec.html> , as well as a diff document showing changes since the previous PR draft <https://www.w3.org/TR/2013/REC-xmldsig-core1-20130411/Overview_diff.html> .”

Since this is not my area of expertise, I’m not sure whether we have already adequately reviewed the changes in XML DSig 1.1. Does this need more discussion in Prague? I guess that we need the Ecma team to confirm that they agree that referencing XML DSig 1.1 and not the previous edition won’t break existing implementations.

Kind regards,

Francis