DR 15-0018: PML: charSpace definition in the strict RNC schema and transitional (XSD/RNC) schemas

Rex Jaeschke rex at RexJaeschke.com
Tue Jun 21 14:38:53 CEST 2016

In this DR, Murata-san reported that a change we’d made in 2011:Cor1 for DR
11-0007 was incomplete. I was just working on my action item re this from
Prague, and I see a problem with our recent resolution.

>From the DR log for DR 11-0007

------

2011-06-13 Chris Rae:

This DR covers another attribute on docGrid (charSpace), which is optional
but does not have clearly-defined behaviour in the case that it's not
provided. I've done some research into this and the default appears simply
to be zero (the attribute is a numeric value). I have submitted the
necessary schema changes (to XSD only, as RNG does not contain defaults) to
the repository (revision 164) and attached a text version of those changes
below:

Index: C:/My Dropbox/work/subversion
IS29500/branches/Part1DCOR2/OfficeOpenXML-XMLSchema-Strict/wml.xsd

At line: 1495

   <xsd:complexType name="CT_DocGrid">

     <xsd:attribute name="type" type="ST_DocGrid"/>

     <xsd:attribute name="linePitch" type="ST_DecimalNumber"/>

    <xsd:attribute name="charSpace" type="ST_DecimalNumber"/>

    <xsd:attribute name="charSpace" type="ST_DecimalNumber" use="optional"
default="0"/>

   </xsd:complexType>

   <xsd:simpleType name="ST_HdrFtr">

     <xsd:restriction base="xsd:string">

----

Which is what Murata says was agreed to. However, the next entry rejects
that.

-----

2011-06-20/22 Berlin Meeting

Agreed in principle, but we prefer to see the fix implemented as changes to
normative text rather than to schema. So we removed the schema changes and
made the following edit:

Part 1, §17.6.5, “docGrid (Document Grid)”, p. 624, attribute charSpace

Attributes

Description

charSpace (Document Grid Character Pitch)

This attribute's value shall be specified by multiplying the difference
between the desired character pitch and the character pitch for that
character in the font size of the Normal font by 4096. If this attribute is
omitted, the default value is zero.

Move to Closed in COR2.

-----

The resulting COR and 2012-1 spec do show this text change and DO NOT have
any schema change in Annex A. I do see however that the electronic XSD
schema for Part 1 WAS CHANGED as Chris had proposed, and this should NOT
have been done.

So I agree that the current state is inconsistent, but it is clear that
WG4’s intent was a text-only solution, so the remedy is to remove the change
from the electronic XSD schema.