Should number formats be unique?

Charlie Clark charlie.clark at clark-consulting.eu
Wed Dec 13 19:09:24 CET 2017

Hi,

I suspect this is too short notice for today's call but we can deal with
it later. I've recently come across an XLSX file with the following
section in the styles:

   <numFmts count="3">
     <numFmt numFmtId="164" formatCode="General"/>
     <numFmt numFmtId="165" formatCode="General"/>
     <numFmt numFmtId="166" formatCode="DD\/MM"/>
   </numFmts>

I see a problem here similar to multiply defined CellStyles:

	* multiple instances of the same number format are both confusing and
redundant
	* this is particularly troubling for the implicit or reserved styles
because in the GUI "General" will be listed both in the standard
categories suggesting perhaps different formats.

It seems to me implicit that number formats are unique but there are no
constraints on this and the narrative documentation is also very vague. I
think it would help developers if this were clarified even if we stop
short of a constraint and use phrasing similar to that chosen for
cellStyles.

Charlie
--
Charlie Clark