DR 17-0009

MURATA Makoto eb2m-mrt at asahi-net.or.jp
Tue Jul 18 13:43:18 CEST 2017

Francis pointed out that some values of @sortMethod are
rewritten when we save Excel documents.  So, I did more
experiments.  All Excel documents are available at
https://1drv.ms/f/s!An5Z79wj5AZBgfB82nx1haWv0jFfMA

First, I created an Excel document (DR 17-0009.xlsx) having two pages.

The first page has CJK characters in the Japanese JOYO kanji table as
well as some hiragana/katakana).  The JOYO kanji table is available
at:

https://github.com/cjkvi/cjkvi-tables/blob/master/joyo2010.txt

The second page contains CJK characters in Part 1 of Table of General
Standard Chinese Characters.  By mistake, I dropped some
characters in this table (sorry!).

https://github.com/cjkvi/cjkvi-tables/blob/master/zibiao2009-1.txt,

Both pages are sorted in the reverse order.

Then, I created three other documents by adding @sortMethod.

- DR 17-0009None.xlsx    (sortMethod="none")
- DR 17-0009PinYin.xlsx  (sortMethod="pinYin")
- DR 17-0009Stroke.xlsx  (sortMethod="stroke")

Next, I opened these documents, applied sorting, and saved as new
documents.  They are:

- DR 17-0009SortedAgain.xlsx
- DR 17-0009NoneSortedAgain.xlsx
- DR 17-0009PinYinSortedAgain.xlsx
- DR 17-0009StrokeSortedAgain.xlsx

Here are some observations.

1) When an Excel document is saved, sortMethod="none" is deleted
and sortMethod="pinYin" is rewritten as sortMethod="stroke".

2) CJK ideographic characters in the Table of General Standard Chinese
Characters are sorted always in the same order.  The sortMethod
attribute is irrelevant.  In particular, sortMethod="pinYin" and
sortMethod="stroke" provide no differences.

3) CJK ideographic characters in the Japanese JOYO kanji table are
sorted always in the same order with the excpetion of sequences of
characters.  Kana characters are sorted slightly differently, although
  a) no @sortMethod and @sortMethod="none" imply the same order, and
  b) @sortMethod="pinYin" <-> @sortMethod="stroke" imply the same order.

Could you try the same experiment in different locales?

Pleaes open
  DR 17-0009.xlsx,
  DR 17-0009None.xlsx,
  DR 17-0009PinYin.xlsx, and
  DR 17-0009Stroke.xlsx,
apply the sort operation, and save them as
  DR 17-0009SortedAgainXXX.xlsx
  DR 17-0009NoneSortedAgainXXX.xlsx,
  DR 17-0009PinYinSortedAgainXXX.xlsx, and
  DR 17-0009StrokeSortedAgainXXX.xlsx, respectively,
and send me these files.

Then, we will know whether sorting is locale-dependent or not.