DR-16-0022: Shared ML: Escaping strings in ST_Xstring

Charlie Clark charlie.clark at clark-consulting.eu
Mon Nov 13 12:11:20 CET 2017

Am .11.2017, 15:50 Uhr, schrieb Francis Cave <francis at franciscave.com>:

> Murata-san
> I think that this DR is asking how to serialise the literal string
> “SW_x3850_CPU”, not “SW㡐CPU”. If “_xHHHH_” is interpreted as the
> Unicode character #xHHHH, any literal string in the form “_xHHHH_” has
> to have the initial “_” escaped, which is what Charlie is saying that
> Excel does. But does this mean that “_” is always escaped by Excel, or
> only escaped in certain contexts, such as if followed by “x”? Does this
> need to be tested?

Hi Francis,

yes, this is the problem. At the moment it does not look like there is a
standard approach for handling something like SW_x3850_CPU and this is
causing interoperability issues. I suggest that we add an example:

literal strings of the form _x[0-9AF]{4}_ must have the first underscore
HEX escaped "_x005f_" before being serialised.

Charlie
--
Charlie Clark
Managing Director