Definition of the term "limit"

Francis Cave francis at franciscave.com
Thu Apr 5 18:38:14 CEST 2018

I have an action from yesterday’s teleconference meeting of WG 4 to draft a
definition of the term “limit” as used in many contexts within 29500 Part 1,
§22.1 Math.

Here is my proposed definition:

limit – In a mathematical equation, an expression in reduced-size text in a
high position (for which the term “upper limit” is used) or low position
(for which the term “lower limit” is used) relative to either an n-ary
operator or text on the baseline of the expression. See n-ary operator for
examples of limits in both high and low positions relative to a summation
sign operator.

If we add this definition in §15.1 Glossary of Shared Terms, I believe that
my original suggested resolution of DR 17-0035 can be reinstated:

n-ary operator — An mathematical operator that involves n terms when
expanded , typically a single operator character, optionally accompanied by
expressions of a lower limit, an upper limit, or both. For instance, the
following example uses the Unicode (ISO 10646) summation sign (U+2211) which
has the official name “N-ARY SUMMATION”.

[example expression here]

This will also avoid the need to revise use of the term “imit” in §22.1 to
clarify its meaning.

Francis