[Fwd: New ODF errata document - page & line numbers]

Francis Cave francis at franciscave.com
Sun Jan 10 13:37:27 CET 2010

Regarding defect report identification, I quote from the current JTC 1
Directives (5th edition, but I don't think this will be affected by the
revision of the Directives), Clause 15.4.6:

"15.4.6 Defect Reports - Distribution

Upon receipt of a defect report, the WG Convener or Secretariat shall
complete part 1 of the form. The defect report number contained in part 1
consists of the IS or DIS number followed by a solidus and a sequentially
assigned number (e.g. 8326/006). The WG Convener or Secretariat shall attach
a WG document cover sheet which carries an assigned WG document number and
indicates the status of the report (e.g. "This defect report is forwarded to
the 8326 editor's group for review and response; it is sent to WG 6 for
information")."

I suspect that this rule on the identification of defect reports is more
honoured in the breach than otherwise. The numbering of defect reports for
IS 29500 has been handled rather differently, excluding the IS number but
including a two-digit year (e.g. DR-10-0001). I think in practice any
reasonable, systematic identification is acceptable.

I'm happy to receive suggestions as to how best to handle defect report
numbering, and whether to apply retrospectively whatever approach we adopt.
Otherwise, I am sure that Kimura-san and I can agree a suitable system.

Francis