AFTERTHOUGHT: Using Change Marking in DCOR and FPDAM Documents

Dennis E. Hamilton dennis.hamilton at acm.org
Fri Mar 26 05:01:52 CET 2010

Although I couldn't see into the room during the Thursday, March 25 session
of SC34 WG6, I gather there was significant head-nodding and arm waving
around the use of change-marked passages for corrigenda and
amendments-by-text-changing.

It struck me that change-marked revision style is valuable for reasons not
emphasized in the moment.  I want to reinforce my support for such a
direction.

 1. Performing a diligent review (and preparation) of text changes requires
carrying out the changes in a revision-tracked document version anyhow, so
the change-marked form should be available in the first place.  It is also
just as easy to see if it can be duplicated by application to a text that a
diligent reviewer has in hand.

 2. Secondly, my intuition is that change-marked passages may be more useful
to translators working on transpositions of revised texts into other
languages.  As a native English speaker (worse, culturally-isolated
American), I am distrustful of that intuition.  Can others who are concerned
with transpositions into languages such as Japanese and Portuguese comment
on this?  Are there pitfalls we should avoid?

 - Dennis