Flat File Packaging

Alex Brown alexb at griffinbrown.co.uk
Wed Sep 11 09:27:39 CEST 2013

Dennis hi

I think you raise some good points. In previous discussions Jirka Kosek commented that this proposal reminded him of XInclude, where what appeared simple on the surface in fact contained some rather murky depths (such as handling of xml:id). OOXML, of course, doesn't use xml:id (or any kind of ID) and so sidesteps that particular issue.

Just as a side note, this flat format has been implemented for a while in some MS Office products. If you save OOXML using "Save As..." in MS Word 2010 for example, one of the available formats is "Word XML Document". The format that will be saved is flattened OPC as described by the spec Francis circulated. OOXML also has an option for specifying an XSLT transform that shall be applied on the fly when such documents are saved (but nowhere specifies how the document-that-will-be-transfomed shall be constructed).

- Alex.