The Public Domain here, there, and everywhere

Dennis E. Hamilton dennis.hamilton at acm.org
Tue Nov 2 05:30:53 CET 2010

There is no public-domain copyright status in the US.  A work is either in copyright or in public domain (because copyright has lapsed).  Works are assumed born in copyright.

The closest to a public-domain declaration is a quit-claim.  It can't even be registered with the US Copyright Office.

To make things a bit more decorous and traceable, there is a Creative Commons no-rights CC0 license that provides a nice formal way to make the quit-claim: <http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/>.

This did not exist at the time that Phil Katz did his work, but if you can find enough authoritative declarations it would probably hold up as a defense against copyright infringement.  But consult your own lawyer about that sort of thing.

One problem, of course, is determining just what (US-defined, including software) literary work is it that has been declared to be in the Public Domain.  That matters too.  Here, specificity is important.  And none of this has anything to do with other forms of IP such as patents and trademarks.

 - Dennis