'Legal' input

robert_weir at us.ibm.com robert_weir at us.ibm.com
Fri Oct 8 16:07:52 CEST 2010

RAND standards are perfectly legit for ISO.  They have many of them,
including very popular ones, for example the industrial strength video
compression standards used by the motion picture industry.  In fact, a few

years ago ISO/IEC received an "Emmy" award for ISO/IEC 14496-10, which is
full of patented technology that requires licensing.

However, I think there will be wide interest in knowing exactly what
subset of ZIP may be implemented without infringing on known patents.

Certainly, that kind of clarity would benefit other open standards that
use ZIP.

The ZIP Application Note calls out which portions have patents pending on
them.  That is probably a good start.  This could be delineated via a
baseline profile, via multiple conformance levels, etc.  We
have several tools at our disposal for factoring the functionality of a
specification in order to meet multiple producer/consumer requirements.

-Rob