An outline proposal

robert_weir at us.ibm.com robert_weir at us.ibm.com
Tue Oct 19 14:59:09 CEST 2010

sc34wg1study-bounces at vse.cz wrote on 10/19/2010 08:20:05 AM:

> >> So this leads to the requirement that you can store a file hierarchy.
> >
> > Again I would not straight away assume we are talking of a file
> > hierarchy.  The contents of the package may have started off as files.
> >  And may even be extracted to files.  But is this necessarily so?  I
> > would prefer to think of the zip as simply a container for streams.
>

> I think it important that if files are used, some hiearchy may be
> retained through the zip/unzip actions? Agreed we may not be
> dealing with files-on-disk, but if we are.... then I think this is
> needed.
>
> No idea how to bring streams into that one!
>
> Comments?

I think we should look at the ZIP Application Note and adopt the
terminology and model used there. Or at least take it as a starting point.
 If we find something confusing and need to adjust it for international
use, then that is fine.  But let's not reinvent the wheel from scratch,
especially given that we have a wheel that is already widely in use.

-Rob