An outline proposal

Horton, Gareth Gareth_Horton at datawatch.com
Tue Oct 19 21:00:49 CEST 2010

Hi Rob,

Here's the/full/ text of section 5 of the 2009 Directives:

"Early disclosure of Patents contributes to the efficiency of the process by which Recommendations | Deliverables are established.

Therefore, each Technical Body, in the course of the development of a proposed Recommendation | Deliverable, will request the disclosure of any known Patents essential to the proposed Recommendation | Deliverable.

Chairmen of Technical Bodies will ..."

So, the chairman MUST ask the question if anyone has knowledge of any patents in the area.

Here's what must happen, according to the directives (Section 3 of the Patent Policy):

Experts may say they are aware of (patents and patents pending), even though they are not the patent holders/submitters and refer to the patents in question.

Patent holders should affirm and refer to their patents.

Anyone *outside* the ISO process can inform the Study Group of patents or patents pending.

The patents / identifying information (by reference, the patent holders) are recorded in the minutes.

The Study Group must make a request to the potential patent holder to make a declaration as per Section 3 of the patent policy:

"Any communication drawing the attention to any third-party Patent should be addressed to the concerned Organization(s) in writing. The potential Patent Holder will then be requested by the relevant Organization(s) to submit a Declaration Form."

Since it is likely that in this area, the patent holders - and I am assuming they are part of this study group, are also aware of their patents, they will therefore submit a Declaration Form.

At this point (Section 3 again)

"Whether the identification of the Patent took place before or after the approval of the Recommendation | Deliverable, if the Patent Holder is unwilling to license under paragraph 2.1 or 2.2 of the Patent Policy, the Organizations will promptly advise the Technical Bodies responsible for the affected Recommendation | Deliverable so that appropriate action can be taken.

Such action will include, but may not be limited to, a review of the Recommendation | Deliverable or its draft in order to remove the potential conflict or to further examine and clarify the technical considerations causing the conflict."

So, if the patent holder does not agree to license on a FRAND or RAND basis, action must be taken.

We should sort this out as soon as possible and request that PKWARE submit a Declaration Form so we know where we stand.

Gareth