WG4's handling of DR-09-0248 - General: Removing the need for qualifiers on attributes in Strict

Jirka Kosek jirka at kosek.cz
Wed Jul 1 15:57:18 CEST 2009

Rex Jaeschke wrote:
> Hi there Jirka, from the final day of the Copenhagen meeting.
> We just got done discussing your DR 09-0248, and I just wanted to share our
> response with you.
> Regards,
> Rex
>
> DR-09-0248 - General: Removing the need for qualifiers on attributes in
> Strict
> There was broad support for adopting the proposed solution. After some
> discussion, it was agreed that the solution involved changes to narrative,
> examples and schemas covering at least 800 pages spread through Parts 1 and
> 4. And qualified versions of some examples from Part 1 will need to be added
> to Part 4. The Project Editor estimated that the effort needed to implement
> this solution was on the order of that for all the other DR resolutions
> combined. Given the time available before the planned start of the ballots,
> members saw no way that such a big editing task and WG4 review can be
> accomplished. As such, resolution of this DR will be considered until after
> the closure of the COR1 and AMD1 sets.

Fair enough. However my concern is that if we change namespace for
Strict in AMD1 and then several months later namespace for some
attributes in Strict in AMD2 we will be looking like crazy folks who do
not know what they want to achieve and who are constantly changing
target for developers of Strict support.

Would it be possible to add informal note into AMD1 that will say that
it is expected to use unqualified attributes in WordprocessingML in
Strict but that such change will be slipped into next set of amendments?
I think that we should try to create predictable and stable environment
for implementers.

				Jirka

  Jirka Kosek      e-mail: jirka at kosek.cz      http://xmlguru.cz