The future of "Transitional": Japanese concern

Jirka Kosek jirka at kosek.cz
Wed Nov 18 09:57:03 CET 2009

MURATA Makoto (FAMILY Given) wrote:

> Since old MS Office appears to be unable to handle the conformance
> class "strict", we would like to introduce extend both the conformance
> classes "strict" and "transitional".
>
> For this reason, we are are against withdrawal and stabilization of
> the conformance class "transitional" in a hurry, and feel uneasy
> about prohibiting extensions of "transitional".

Putting aside question how or whether "transitional" should be extended
-- wouldn't it be possible to use MCE for your requirements?

Adding new feature to "transitional" will be precedent and it would be
then hard to resist to additional feature requests. I'm not saying
whether this is good or bad, but it will increase maintenance work as
"transitional" and "strict" are going to be quite separate specs after
amendment goes through balloting.

				Jirka

  Jirka Kosek      e-mail: jirka at kosek.cz      http://xmlguru.cz