The future of "Transitional": Japanese concern

Jirka Kosek jirka at kosek.cz
Wed Nov 18 16:00:17 CET 2009

MURATA Makoto (FAMILY Given) wrote:

> MS Office and OOXML come from Western culture.  Although we are
> aware that a lot of attempts has been made for I18N, some languages
> and cultures might not be well supported yet.  We request WG4 to
> seriously consider requirements from all languages and cultures and
> make a fair decision.

Indeed I'm supportive for any requests that can improve suitability of
OOXML for any non-Latin based scripts and corresponding languages.

The only question is whether such changes should go to Transitional
document type which (according BRM decision) is meant only for
transitional period and thus can be considered inappropriate for adding
any new functionality. Situation would be easier there if Strict is in
the same namespace as Transitional where superset/subset relation is
preserved. But we already agreed on namespace change for Strict for many
good reasons.

As always, in OOXML it is hard to make win-win decisions. Only the least
worst :-(

			Jirka

  Jirka Kosek      e-mail: jirka at kosek.cz      http://xmlguru.cz