The future of "Transitional": Japanese concern

Innovimax SARL innovimax at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 07:32:04 CET 2009

Murata san,

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 2:14 AM, MURATA Makoto (FAMILY Given)
<eb2m-mrt at asahi-net.or.jp> wrote:
> Francis,
>
> (Again wearing my Japanese hat)
>
>> The agreed UK position is that the purpose of the Transitional conformance class and
>>features, as specified in Part 4, is to provide faithful representation
>>of legacy documents.
>
> It appears that your understanding of "legacy documents" appears to be
> different from ours.  In our understading, document that have been
> or will be created, modified, or viewed  by legacy software are
> legacy documents.  After all, isn't it very difficult to create strict
> documents using existing MS Office in the future?

Probably, but again, the goal of this WG is not to talk about MS
Office implementations (especially the future one) , is it ?

>>If the old versions of Microsoft Office and other systems that were
>>used to produce these legacy documents were unable to format text in all
>>languages correctly (which is hardly surprising, by the way), Part 4
>>should enable us to represent those documents faithfully INCLUDING all
>>typographic lacunae. In other words, if a typographic feature was
>>missing and could not be expressed in a legacy document, it would be
>>wrong to try to rewrite history by enhancing Part 4 and thereby
>>"correcting" the presentation of old documents.
>
> An important omission in MS Word is not  inability to format documents
> correctly but rather inability to recognize page layout specified
> in terms of KIHONHANMEN (see 2.2.4 http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/NOTE-jlreq-20090604/#en-subheading1_1_4
> of the requirement document) rather than margins.  I guess that
> it is possible to create OOXML extensions so that documents can
> contain specifications in terms of KIHONHAMEN *as well as*
> margins.  Legacy software is expected to handle such documents
> and produce good layout using margin information, while new
> applications can further provide better user interfaces in terms of
> KIHONHANMEN.

I'm afraid you're talking about the behaviour of an implementation there.
The second point is that you're talking about high level typography :
I never understood that Word was about high quality typography
although I understand SVG, XSL-FO and CSS are.

My understanding is that KIHONHAMEN typography characteristics are not
*generally* captured today (as ARABIC typography in most of the case).
I said *generally* in the sense of "telling the software that you are
in KIHONHAMEN mode"
On the other hand, MS Word (since we are again talking about an
implementation) has never been about capturing general typography
information, but largely more about capturing local information (see
how tables are treated line by line in Word) ; Here again, local
information that have been set by user in "legacy" document (that will
have to be defined in Paris) -- and not legacy implementations --
needs to be captured in ISO 29500 T (if it is not already in ECMA
376).

Mohamed

--
Innovimax SARL