New WG4 document, and a request for agenda time to discuss it in Paris

Innovimax SARL innovimax at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 05:10:09 CET 2009

Dear,

Eating our own dog food seems interesting !
But, I can see many problems :
1) why do we promote the use of 29500 transitional ? I would prefer to
promote Strict if it was possible.
2) SC 34 is also the home (and since a longer time) of ODF ? Why not using ODF ?
3) Do we really need to edit document ? Most of the time, there is
only one author (even if there is multiple contributors) so PDF is
sufficiently good for that purpose
4) SC 34 usually send documents in PDF, HTML or XML (I do not mean it
should stay that way, but we should investigate those before rushing
into ECMA 376)
5) There is a bunch of non Windows user and some Windows user without
Microsoft tools. For that, we should be carefully that it really make
documents *readable* and *writable* by those people (with existing
third parties tool)

So here is my advices if you don't like the PDF only status quo :
* Consider moving to (in this order of preference) a PDF + HTML or PDF
+ XML or PDF + ODF or PDF + 29500-Strict or PDF + ECMA-376
* Before any attempt to move to one of those format **without** PDF,
we need to carefully assert that it does not make those document less
accessible to non Microsoft tools (if any available).

Hope this helps

Mohamed

--
Innovimax SARL