Proposal for mail list / archive

Jesper Lund Stocholm jesper.stocholm at ciber.dk
Tue Oct 20 10:38:36 CEST 2009

Hello all,

Here is my proposal that I presented at last week's telephone conference.

I have been in contact with a Danish service provider called pil.dk (www.pil.dk) . They offer mail hosting which include moderated mail lists, and are considered a respectful and competent provider here in Denmark.

They can offer us the following package:

·         Usage of own domain (do we have one that will do? Is jtc1sc34.org used for emails?)

·         5 moderated mail lists (I simply chose 5 due to the 5 WGs in SC34)

·         Publicly available web archive of emails for each mail list

An example of the web archive can be seen at http://list.cashcow.dk/developers/

My idea was that these lists and associated services would be administered by SC34 secretariat and be included as an integral part of their services. Administration should be at a minimum. When the time comes for changing secretariat, the new secretariat would take over the responsibility of maintaining this service. So I am basically suggesting to move the responsibility of maintaining mail lists and archives away from the WGs and "up" to SC34 itself. The service package is expandable, so if SC34 secretariat finds it useful and would like other lists of SC34 added, pil.dk can expand it to suit "our" needs.

The price for the solution above is just 16 euros per month (incl VAT).

By using our own domain we also communicate (PR!) much better, that we are "masters in our own house" and do not need to rely on Google Groups (or ECMA, in terms of the ecma-org email list we currently use) to facilitate our service needs.

It is my estimate that if SC34 secretariat chooses this solution, we'd have a system running within 14 days. If the financial cost is a problem, I'd be happy to sponsor the first 6 months of costs, and after this, we/you can evaluate status and choose to continue with this or take another route. I'd also be happy to set up the system for our initial use in WG4.

Jesper Lund Stocholm

Lautruphøj 1-3
DK-2750 Ballerup
Denmark