My action item: Letter to the W3C Web Applications WG

MURATA Makoto (FAMILY Given) eb2m-mrt at asahi-net.or.jp
Sat Oct 31 23:57:52 CET 2009

> 1) Would the presence of a feature necessarily prevent merging?  I.e.
> are there some OPC files which can also be Widgets?

Frankly, I see no practical values in such "merging".  After all, OPC
implementations and Wiget package implementations are different.
What is the point of allowing some zip files to be both OPC packages
and widget packages at the same time?  Who is going to spend a lot
of time for that?

> 2) What possibilities are there for using the same packaging system for
> equivalent functions?
>
> In the case of Interleaving, it may be the kind of thing that Widgets
> may be interested in at a future time, if there is need.

I spoke with Robin and he said that they do not have interest in
streaming.  They might change their opinion, but they are already aware
of interleaving of OPC.

Avoiding unnecessary changes would be nice.  But I am not aware of any
mechanism or terminology that have to be unified.  We might want to tell
them why we chose a particular version of the zip format, but this is
the only, AFAIK.