DR R 09-0216 - WML: Custom XML and Smart Tags

rjelliffe at allette.com.au rjelliffe at allette.com.au
Tue Sep 15 05:02:37 CEST 2009

> Dear all,
>
> We didn't have time to discuss this DR this morning -- but I think it
> potentially an important one. To recap to (where I think) we got with
> our previous discussions, the issue at hand is whether a governing
> schema SHALL be used to validate custom content. This matters because
> the implied XML will differ if that governing schema declares default
> content. In my view, this is not something that can be left to the
> discretion of the implementation ...

Alex's issue is perhaps whether the XML in a custom XML section is
acccessed using the XML infoset or the Post Schema Validation Infoset,
which could have defaults.

Based on the work we have done using custom XML here at Allette, we really
would prefer to keep schemas out of the picture as much as possible, just
to reduce the fiddling. (We validate the XML before we insert it into the
OOXML file.)

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe