DR 09-0322 - OPC: Types

Alex Brown alexb at griffinbrown.co.uk
Thu Apr 1 12:53:14 CEST 2010

Dear Shawn, all,

If we provide a formal definition for term "relationship type" (which I think we should), then the table on Page 22 should be updated simply to mentioned the term. In other words, we can say that the value of the @Type attribute shall be "a relationship type".

However, what I think what was/is puzzling me here is this mention of a "function" or "role". What do these mean here? Can the same _type_ of relationship play different _roles_ in a package? (I don't think so - the same resource can be the target of different-type relationships, however).

To cut to the chase (and after a chat with Murata-san), I think the relationship type is just an arbitrary URI which the Standard specifies shall be used for various distinct types of Relationship ... this is probably why it is called @Type and not @Role or somesuch.

So I think a better definition  might be simply:

relationship type - a URI used to identify the type of a relationship

This relies on the definition for Relationship being correct - and I don't think it is. We have:

relationship -The kind of connection between a source part and a target part in a package. Relationships make the connections between parts directly discoverable without looking at the content in the parts, and without altering the parts themselves. (See also Package Relationships.)

A relationship is not a "kind of" (read "type of") connection, but a connection itself! So I think a better definition would be:

relationship - A connection between a source part and a target part in a package. (See also Package Relationships.)

These changes would fix things up on this DR, I think.

On your other point, I too have surveyed the 405 other uses of "type" in the text and agree they seem ok!

Thanks,

- Alex.