My comments on DR 10-0001

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Thu Apr 1 14:40:11 CEST 2010

Daer all,
As this is my first post here, I'll start with a brief self-introduction:
My name is Norbert Bollow, an informatics consultant in Switzerland, and
representing the Swiss Open Systems User Group /ch/open in matters of
standardization. It is in this capacity that I've just joined WG4. I also
happen to have been elected Convenor of the Swiss mirror committee for
SC34 relatively recently (end of November 2009), and I hope to be able to
make a controbution to improving communications between WG4 and the Swiss
committee, but I'm here primarily just as a representative of /ch/open.

Jesper Lund Stocholm <jesper.stocholm at ciber.dk> wrote:
> 2. Dates are persisted in strict documents (spreadsheets) as ISO-dates.
> Not as serial dates but as ISO-dates! This effectively means that
> the leap-year bug does not exist in S documents, since the date
> 1900-02-29 cannot be persisted in ISO-8601 format.

I would suggest that the text from the BRM on ISO-8601 format dates
should anyway be made much more precise anyway with regard to the
specific subset of the set of ISO-8601 formats that is allowed, so
why not at that time also add text that allows, as a special exception,
the string "1900-02-29" for representing a value that occurs in some
existing (buggy) documents?

Best regards,
Norbert Bollow

--
Representative in matters of international standardization
of the Swiss Open Systems User Group /ch/open - http://ch-open.ch

Owner/CEO, Adaptux GmbH - http://adaptux.com
Coaching and Consulting in all areas of informatics management including
Goal-Setting, Strategy Development, Procurement, Day-To-Day Operations,
Software Asset Management, Risk Management, Benefit Orientation Management.