COR vs. AMD for DR resolution and innovation

Rex Jaeschke rex at RexJaeschke.com
Mon Aug 23 20:01:56 CEST 2010

Thanks for your feedback Gareth.

Re AMD2, I believe I stated in my cover note when I announced my paper's
availability that the content and plan for processing for AMD2 should stay
as is (as an amendment), as I think it's a special case, not just "an
ordinary DR fix".

I agree, that for more than a few situations, one could argue that piece of
a solution could/should go in a COR and another piece into an AMD. For
example, strictly speaking, an amendment is intended to modify normative
text. So, should an AMD contain new notes or examples or should it change
existing notes or examples? They are NOT normative. In the case of AMD2, I
think it much more important that all the ISO date-related work for
spreadsheet ML go in the same document, and that document seems to me to be
much more like an AMD than a COR.

Regardless of what the Directives say, it's what gets passed the editors in
ITTF that matters. However, the fact that they DON'T reject something is
most likely because they didn't see it during proofing rather than their
having seen it, considered it, and approved it. (I am aware of a case
currently in another standard where they are questioning something in a new
edition that has been in 2 previous editions, but now that they have found
it they are concerned.) Frankly, I'm surprised than neither ITTF nor any NB
commented on the form/content of AMD1. It doesn't look like any other AMD
I've ever seen. Instead, it looks EXACTLY like a COR (which is part of the
argument in my paper).

As I understand, certain parts of the Directives are intentionally left
vague to allow for "special cases". If you asked a lawyer to interpret the
directives on some topic, she might respond, "What do you want them to say?"

Let's discuss this in Tokyo.