Proposed fix for DR 10-0016 ("MCE: Core Concepts")

Chris Rae Chris.Rae at microsoft.com
Thu Jul 1 00:47:56 CEST 2010

Hello again - my apologies for taking so long to reply on this; it turns out to be more complicated than I'd thought. I think I now have a pretty good handle on how we (MS) used the MCE concepts.

I think the original intent of Part 3 was to allow vendors to extend using either subsumption of existing namespaces for extended content, or addition of new namespaces. However, it's certainly unclear in a few parts which concept the standard is talking about and there's a strange concept of "implicit subsumption" when talking about elements in ignorable namespaces.

Most of the situations in which Office extends existing markup involve the addition of new-namespaced attributes on existing elements. This is in accordance with the text of 11.2, "Namespace subsumption"..."Special considerations for attributes". That section states there that existing elements can be either extended using new namespaces (as we do) or existing ones, with implicit subsumption (which we do not do). The use of new namespaces for attributes also seems to be in line with 10.1.1, "Ignorable Attribute" but I'd agree that it certainly appears to contradict the statement in 9.1 that "Future versions of markup specifications shall specify new namespaces for any markup that is enhanced or modified by the new version".

If we agree that 11.2 allows attributes in new namespaces to be added to existing elements, I think Part 3 can be repaired by altering the wording of the statement in 9.1 to cover "...markup whose meaning is changed...". As long as the markup still made sense to an earlier consumer, then, the base namespace can remain the same. If we don't agree, I think we'll need to find a more clear way of determining which markup should be subsumed and which should not (does a new attribute on a <p> element mean a new <document>, for example?).

During the course of investigating this, we came across a few places in which Part 3 is not very well-written. There is no prescriptive way given for a consumer to derive whether markup is subsumed, and there is vague wording in a few normative sections. There's an informative note in section 11.2 which mentions that " The statements above introduce a potential ambiguity " but proposes no solution; that should probably be turned into something more normative. I'm going to submit DRs for several of these, and hopefully we can improve this part as a whole.

Your thoughts,