Solution proposal for versioning problem

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Fri Jul 9 22:35:14 CEST 2010

Jirka Kosek <jirka at kosek.cz> wrote:

> I think that any new features we are going to introduce in post
> 29500:2008 will be designed to be backward compatible itself or relying
> on MCEs so there will be no need to change namespace.

For those points where ISO/IEC 29500:2008 differs from ECMA-376 ed 1
or from implementation decisions of existing software on points that
ECMA-376 ed 1 leaves unspecified, what precisely is the target of this
"backward" compatiblity?

> > My current proposal provides specification version information
> > while assuring existing ECMA-376 ed 1 or ISO/IEC 29500:2008
> > conformant applications which do not understand the proposed
> > versioning mechanism will not perform worse on existing documents
> > because of that.
>
> But what's the point of versioning information then?

See
https://members.ecma-international.org/get.php?group=SC34-WG4&file=2010_sub_sc34-wg4-2010-0135.zip

Greetings,
Norbert

--
Representative in matters of international standardization
of the Swiss Open Systems User Group /ch/open - http://ch-open.ch

Owner/CEO, Adaptux GmbH - http://adaptux.com
Coaching and Consulting in all areas of informatics management including
Goal-Setting, Strategy Development, Procurement, Day-To-Day Operations,
Software Asset Management, Risk Management, Benefit Orientation Management.