XML signatures and RELAX NG schemas in ISO/IEC 29500-2 (OPC of OOXML)

MURATA Makoto (FAMILY Given) eb2m-mrt at asahi-net.or.jp
Sat Jul 10 15:05:20 CEST 2010

Dear colleagues,

I had a chance to contribute to the RELAX NG schemas for XML
signature and encryption.  The result is "XML Security RELAX NG Schemas",
available at:

http://www.w3.org/2008/xmlsec/Drafts/xmlsec-rngschema/Overview.html

ISO/IEC 29500-2 (OPC of OOXML) uses XML signatures (but not encryption).

http://standards.iso.org/ittf/PubliclyAvailableStandards/c051459_ISOIEC%2029500-2_2008(E).zip
http://standards.iso.org/ittf/PubliclyAvailableStandards/c051459_ISOIEC%2029500-2_2008_Electronic_inserts.zip

Since ISO/IEC 29500- contains RELAX NG schemas (non-normative) for OPC,
I believe that we should revise our schemas when W3C publishes the final
version of "XML Security RELAX NG Schemas".  I will submit a defect
report about this when the final version is ready.

I am still a novice of digital signature and encryption, but I have come to wonder
why OPC does not use XML signature 1.1 and does not reference to exclusive
C14N, XML Signature Properties, and so forth.  Should I submit some
defect reports?