Draft for review: ISO 8601 date work on IS 29500

MURATA Makoto (FAMILY Given) eb2m-mrt at asahi-net.or.jp
Wed Jul 14 02:15:51 CEST 2010

I have an editorial comment and a tiny technical proposal.

Editorial comment

In my understanding, our subsetting is similar to what W3C XML Schema
Part 2, W3C Date and Time Formats (technical note), RFC 3339 (Date and
Time on the Internet: Timestamps) are doing.  The only significant
difference is that our subset does not have timezone, since no
well-known spreadsheet implementations provide timezone.  If this is the
case, why don't we say so in the beginning of this draft?

http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-xmlschema-2-20041028
http://www.w3.org/TR/NOTE-datetime
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3339

Tiny technical proposal

I am wondering if we should append "Z" always as the last character when
we specify time information.  RFC 3339 mandates "Z" or explicit timezone.
RFC 4287 (The Atom Syndication Format), which uses RFC 3339, does the
same thing.  The following three lines are extracted from RFC 3339.

 date-time       = full-date "T" full-time
 full-time       = partial-time time-offset
 time-offset     = "Z" / time-numoffset