DR 09-0312 - WML: RelyOnVML

Shawn Villaron shawnv at microsoft.com
Thu Mar 18 23:09:33 CET 2010

This is in regards to the DK defect report.

I believe that there may be a misunderstanding regarding the meaning of this element as it doesn't relate to the BRM resolution regarding the limiting of VML to the Transitional conformance class.

Many applications have the ability to generate published versions of their documents that are optimized for viewing on the web.  Microsoft Word has this ability, and in its web publish format, it has the ability to use VML as a graphics format.  This ability is exposed to end users.  To keep track of end user preferences, Microsoft Word would write out the end user preference into the binary and XML versions of the document so that future publishing would use the previous setting.  And since the migration to Open XML was about preserving data found in those binary and XML files, this end user preference was included in the standard and is represented by the relyOnVML element.

To be 100% clear, this element has absolutely no impact on whether or not VML is allowed to be used in the WordprocessingML document.

In light of this, do we still believe it should be removed?

Thanks,

shawn