DR 09-0194 - WML: Use of terminology "id" and "unique identifier"

Shawn Villaron shawnv at microsoft.com
Thu Mar 18 23:21:07 CET 2010

This is in regards to the JP defect report.

I'm on the fence regarding the value of enacting the change suggested in this defect report.  Essentially it comes down to improving the text with respect to identifiers.  While I can see the theoretical value here, I have a few reservations.

First, it's going to touch quite a bit of the standard.  Just looking at part 1, there are 443 references to " ID ", 414 references to " id ", 316 references to "identifier" and 124 references to "Identifier".  And while I suspect that part 1 would have the most references to these strings, all three other parts will be impacted to varying degrees.  So to make this change, we're touching a number of pages.

Second, I worry about the backward compatibility risks here.  I'm not sure there is sufficient up-side to this change to break existing files.  Perhaps we can avoid this - I'd love to get Murata-san's feedback here - but it does make me worry.

Something else for us to chat about next week in Stockholm.

Thanks,

shawn