The draft minutes from yesterday's teleconference are at http://www.itscj.ipsj.or.jp/sc34/wg4/def/sc34-wg4-2011-0216.zip

Alex Brown alexb at griffinbrown.co.uk
Wed Nov 30 19:28:21 CET 2011

Dear all,

I am sorry to have missed yesterday's call. The discussion around MCE in general, and Namespace subsumption in particular, sounds interesting.

The UK has, of course, a well-aged comment on Namespace subsumption in the DR log: 10-0016 from May 2010 http://is.gd/Mbrzwn . Regardless of the wider arguments about a MCE-rewrite, I am sure the UK would like some resolution of this narrow comment.

I think one way to crystalize this issue is to write a formal test for when documents violate the subsumption provisions (time permitting, I could then include this in office-o-tron).

The text says:

"Future versions of markup specifications shall specify new namespaces for any markup that is enhanced or modified by the new version, which a markup consumer of that version of the markup specification would include as an understood namespace"

I think a reasonable interpretation of this, for the purpose of validation, is:

1. To inspect MCE content for the use of elements in "understood" Namespaces (i.e. most obviously, those of the 29500 schemas).

2. To validate all such elements against the (XSD) schema.

3. If such an element is not schema valid, then that markup has - of course - been "enhanced or modified", and the host document must be reported as non-conformant.

While I don't think it is possible to come up with an un-arguably tight test for this, given the woolly nature of the wording in 29500 itself, I believe this is the most reasonable interpretation possible.

- Alex.