"Proposed Business Plan" document posted as http://www.itscj.ipsj.or.jp/sc34/wg4/archive/sc34-wg4-2011-0220.zip

Rex Jaeschke rex at RexJaeschke.com
Wed Jan 11 22:59:36 CET 2012

Prior to the Busan, KR, Face-to-Face (F2F) meeting, I proposed to Murata-san
privately that WG4 have a detailed business plan. The primary reasons for
this were to

1.	Force WG4 members to look at the "big picture" rather than to work
on topics in a piecemeal fashion
2.	Be realistic about the resources needed and available
3.	Be able to share with the stakeholders outside WG4 information about
where IS 29500 was headed
4.	Be willing to commit to a written plan that was made public, thereby
(hopefully) making them think a lot more before committing, and with a
bigger stake in the long-term success of the 29500 standardization process
Murata-san bought into this idea and put it on the Busan agenda. At that
meeting, we discussed it briefly and I reiterated the main points that I had
argued privately with Murata-san.

By then, he had set up a wiki on which he asked me to post my ideas. During
the following months, I added a number of items and Murata-san made numerous
edits. It soon became obvious to me that while a wiki might be useful for
wordsmithing text in a specification, I don't see it being the best way of
dealing with higher-level proposals, such as a business plan. Specifically,
I am really not interested in seeing detailed wording changes to my
proposal, but rather, a discussion for/against the principles I raised in
each point.

So, I have re-published in N 0220 all the text I posted to the wiki last
year in the hopes of stimulating a discussion of the merits of my points.
Once we agree on those, I expect that any wording changes needed will easily
follow.

In separate mails, I'll address Murata's concerns about some of my
proposals.