WG4 Business Plan: DR processing and COR generation

Rex Jaeschke rex at RexJaeschke.com
Wed Jan 11 23:51:26 CET 2012

Murata-san wrote, "WG4 has decided to create another set of DCORs. But there
is a proposal to publish a consolidated edition rather than CORs. See A
Proposed Timeline for the 3rd Edition of IS 29500
<http://www.itscj.ipsj.or.jp/sc34/wg4/archive/sc34-wg4-2011-0201.zip> .
Issue: Should this set of DCORs cover Parts 2 and 3 as well as Parts 1 and
4?"
I'm confused by this. Here is the sequence of events thus far:
1.	2008: Published edition 1 of all Parts as 29500:2008
2.	2010: Closed COR1 and AMD1 sets
3.	2011: Folded COR1 and AMD1 sets into a consolidated edition 2 of all
Parts as 29500:2011
4.	2011: Closed COR2 and AMD2 sets
5.	2012: We will fold COR2 and AMD2 sets into a consolidated edition 3
of all Parts as 29500:2012
Thus far, the COR sets have covered all Parts, at least as much as we closed
any DRs from some Parts.

Using this approach, ISO has held off actually publishing CORs and AMDs, as
they are very quickly subsumed by the consolidated reprint that follows soon
after. And I think this is an appropriate model for us to keep following.
Given the number and complexity of COR and AMD edits thus far, it is way too
complicated to read a base standard, a separate COR, and a separate AMD, in
parallel, to try and see what the resulting impact has been. (Indeed, it has
been the generation of the consolidated document that has found
contradictions between a COR and AMD in the past.)