WG4 Business Plan: WG4 Operating Procedures

Rex Jaeschke rex at RexJaeschke.com
Thu Jan 12 00:06:00 CET 2012

Requiring written papers:

I wrote, "As a result, I propose WG4 adopt a "Two-Week Rule".

It appears that Murata-san deleted that section, but added no rationale.

Quite frankly, except for special circumstance (at least one of which I
mentioned) I think that anyone not able to distribute a paper 2 weeks ahead
of a teleconference or F2F meeting shows a lack of planning and/or
discipline and should not be able to spend (possibly waste) committee
members time until they have their arguments thought through. Given that we
have teleconferences every 4-5 weeks, it's not long to wait for the next
one; that is, I don't see the urgency that any specific paper be considered
at any particular meeting.

Taking important decisions at F2F Meetings only:

Murata-san wrote that he, "does not want to establish a guiding principle
about which decision can be made by which type of meetings".

I think that this is exactly a guiding principle WG4 needs. Of course, we
might find a reason to circumvent it, but it's a good starting point. In any
event, if we really are serious about giving liaisons sufficient time to
review our proposals, then announcing those at or soon after a F2F meeting
gives us 3+ months before the next F2F meeting, which should be enough time
to get feedback from liaison organizations. Expecting them to do so in much
less time is quite unreasonable.

Again, this makes for a predictable pattern.