FW: "Proposed Business Plan" document posted as http://www.itscj.ipsj.or.jp/sc34/wg4/archive/sc34-wg4-2011-0220.zip

MURATA Makoto eb2m-mrt at asahi-net.or.jp
Sat Jan 21 23:07:10 CET 2012

Dear colleagues,

Wearing my convenor hat, I try to list decisions
by SC34 or WG4 and see what the directives
say about them.  These directives are available at

http://www.iso.org/iso/standards_development/supporting_services/information_technology_task_force.htm

1) Starting a revision project (when the scope does not change)

We have not done this yet.

WG4 can recommend a revision project, but SC34 makes
the decision (project subdivision for the revision) in the plenary
meeting and P-member bodies confirm the decision by a default
letter ballot.  Since the plenary meeting always happen after a
WG4 F2F meeting, recommendation of a revision project will
be discussed in the WG4 F2F meeting.

Note:  Is a new work item proposal (and a ballot) needed in
the new directives?  I am not entirely sure.

2) Starting an amendment project

The same as in 1).  But I am very sure that a NWIP
is *not* needed.

3) Creating a new standard project

This requires a new work item proposal and a ballot.  Member
bodies can submit a NWIP at any time.  The plenary can also
start a NWIP, and  WG4 can recommend the plenary to do so.

Consensus in WG4 is not required before a NWIP.  Comment
disposition is finally approved by the SC34 plenary but is
done by WG4 if the scope of the new standard is in the
scope of WG4.

4) Starting a DCOR

A DCOR is not a new project.  It does not require any
decisions by the plenary.  WG4 can prepare DCOR
text and start a ballot at any time.

I believe that we have decided rough schedule of DCORs in
F2F meetings, but we have slightly changed the schedule
in teleconferences.

We have (roughly) decided which DR can be incorporated
in the current DCOR in a WG4 F2F meeting, but we have
dropped some DRs after that.

5) CD and PDAM ballots by SC34 members

After these ballots, WG4 does comment disposition, which has to
be endorsed by the SC34 plenary meeting.  Since the plenary
meeting always happens after a WG4 F2F meeting, comment
disposition has been done in WG4 F2F meetings.

5) DCOR ballots by SC34 members

WG4 does comment disposition.  Approval by the SC34 plenary
is not needed.

We have mostly did comment disposition in a F2F meeting,
but have slightly changed the disposition after that.  See
SC34 N1351.

6) DIS and DAM ballots by the combined ballot (ISO and IEC)

The same as in 5.

7) FDIS and FDAM ballots (yes or no)

We can do nothing.

Rex wrote:
>Regarding "important" things, I had in mind things like deciding to start an
>SC 34 or combined ballot for a COR or AMD,

The directives already mandate plenary decisions (which
are done after WG4 F2F meetings) for AMD projects.

Decision to start a DCOR meeting is our own.  Schedules
have been discussed in F2F meetings (and will continue
to be discussed, as I see it), but have been slightly changed
by following teleconferences. Does Rex propose that no
such changes should be made?

>establishing business plan rules
>including timelines of significant events,

I do not understand what Rex means by significant events.
But timelines of projects are decided by the plenary meeting,
which follows a WG4 meeting.

>deciding to ballot a new work
>item,

The directives allow member bodies to start a NWIP without even
speaking with others.  Member bodies tend to speak with others
in F2F meetings or teleconferences.

The directives also allow the SC34 plenary to start a NWIP.
It happens in a plenary meeting only, which follows a WG4 F2F
meeting.

>and, occasionally, proposed resolutions for a handful of high-impact
>DRs.

Probably, the biggest decision so far was the introduction of
strict namespaces.  I vaguely remember that this decision was
done by a teleconference but this topic was extensively discussed
by a F2F meeting.

I must say I still do not understand what Rex is proposing.