DR 10-0018: General: missing normative reference

Jim Thatcher Jim.Thatcher at microsoft.com
Thu Mar 29 19:51:49 CEST 2012

Following is the full text that I committed in the conference call last week to provide as the resolution for DR 09-0018.

Part 1, §4 - Add the following definition:

ODBC - An implementation of ISO/IEC 9075-3:2008 "Information technology -- Database languages -- SQL -- Part 3: Call-Level Interface (SQL/CLI)" or SQL/CLI-based database connectivity API. An example of a broadly used SQL\CLI-based database connectivity API is the Open Database Connectivity (ODBC) API.

Part 1, §17.14.10 - Modify the Example to replace the words "the Open Database Connectivity interface" with "ODBC".

Part 1, §17.18.52 - Replace the current entry for "odbc" in the table with the following:

odbc (ODBC Data Source)

Specifies that a given merged WordprocessingML document has been connected to an external data source via ODBC.

and modify the Example to replace the words "the Open Database Connectivity interface" with "ODBC".

Part 1, §18.10.1.3 - Replace the current entry for "sqlType" in the Attributes table with the following:

sqlType (SQL Data Type)

Specifies the SQL data type of the field.  This attribute applies to ODBC data sources only. A value is supplied for this attribute only if it is provided to the application.

For more information, including supported data types, see ISO 9075-3:2008, Table 33 - Codes used for concise data types.

The possible values for this attribute are defined by the W3C XML Schema int datatype.

Part 1, §18.13.6 - Replace the current entry for "sqlType" in the Attributes table with the following:

sqlType (SQL Data Type)

Specifies the SQL data type of the parameter.  This attribute is only supported for ODBC data sources.

For more information, including supported data types, see ISO 9075-3:2008, Table 33 - Codes used for concise data types.

The possible values for this attribute are defined by the W3C XML Schema int datatype.

Based on a search for "odbc" in Part 1 and Part 4 this appears to be the extent of the changes needed to address the DR. Many other occurrences of ODBC or odbc exist, but those other instances are consistent with the definition included above.

Jim